Wednesday, April 11, 2012

USA 2012

Well here we go again. It is April 11 and I have just arrived in Dallas, after a long flight from Sydney. Possibly the roughest flight across the Pacific that I have yet encountered. I was sure I was going to end up wearing my food & beverages at some stage. Anyway, I remained clean, although the jet lag has kicked in already, & I do feel like I have had a frontal lobotomy. On this adventure I have been dragged kicking & screaming into the 21st century. I have a notebook computer and a GPS. The computer seems to be working & the GPS must feel like I do, because it took quite a while to work out it was in a different country. But my Travelsim phone card is not working at all. My antique 4 year old Telstra phone won't handle it. Well if Telstra think they are going to collect another Global Roaming jackpot for a few modest phone calls, they can get stuffed. I wont use it at all. Email only please. Or write me a letter.


Dallas airport is intimidatingly large, & pretty busy as well. I broke into a sweat just walking to the front door of Terminal 85A or whatever. The driver to the hotel wasted no time in telling me that the airport here is bigger than Manhattan. I thought he meant bigger than JFK, but no, he meant Manhattan, apparently. Well this is Texas! He also asked if I was from Sydney, but changed the subject back to how big Texas is when I said I was from Adelaide. Adelaide.... A-d-e-l.... Still not sure what to make of that conversational tack. Anyhoo, back to the airport after a good sleep, & tomorrow I get to fly to San Diego.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great reading Mike. There's a new career waiting for you if you ever want it - as a travel writer. Enjoy the road. Cheers, John C