Tuesday, May 8, 2012

IF ITS TUESDAY, IT MUST BE.........TEXAS

Greetings People, Where the hell am I? Well I woke up this morning in Mississippi, spent most of the day riding across Loosie-ANNER, (that's Louisiana to you and me), and finished up in Texas, as the above photo attests. In fact the sign exhorts people to drive friendly, the Texas way. Well so far nobody has shot me, so I guess that's friendly. But I will be in Texas for a while now, so time will tell. I have gotten the knack of seeking out the backroads, where there is a lot less traffic, and you dont have to fight with trucks. Even roads that look like on the map they should be no more than goat tracks, actually turn out to be pretty good. Plus you get to see real people going about their real business, maybe even talk to a few of them. Not that anyone can understand me (and vice versa, don't worry about that). I got asked if I was from Scotland the other day!  But even the GPS got confused today, and when I ended up almost on the runway at an Air National Guard base, even I suspected a mistake.  I have developed a  blind faith in this technological wonder, but you do have to keep it honest and use your brain every so often.

Interesting place Texas, apparently its the only state in the US that can opt out of the Union whenever it wants to, and I have read (but have not actually observed) that it is also the only state that flies its state flag above the Stars and Stripes. Everything in Texas is supposed to be big, including egos apparently. Right now I am in Huntsville, the home town of Sam Houston, I'll have you know. Sam who? Well, go look it up, do I have to explain everything?  The forecast this morning was for severe thunderstorms in the parts of Texas that I was aiming for. If the one that hit Natchez last night was anything to go by, I was in for a treat sometime today. However, I got this far and stayed dry, but decided to cash in my chips at about 4pm while I was still in front. And not a moment too soon either. Kaboom, just as I unloaded the bike and scurried into the EconoLodge. No Indians behind the front desk this time. Did I mention I got another Indian establishment in Natchez, which made an astounding five nights in a row. This time I was greeted at reception by a nice young senorita. Ay caramba! I am starting to get the idea now. Anywhere near an interstate, there are motels and fast food joints galore. So far, I have been able to eat and sleep with very little trouble, or pre-planning for that matter. At first I thought it might be too noisy to sleep, what with the traffic and all. The traffic has been the least of my problems.

In the el cheapo motels I gravitate towards, the plumbing makes more noise than the trucks, and the ever - present rednecks in the car park make a fair racket also. Fortunately, I have ear plugs, plus I'm half deaf anyway due to working at the Largs Pier and putting up with Jimmy Barnes screaming his guts out. What is weird is that even though you don't have to go far to eat, its pretty tricky to get there unless you drive! There are virtually no footpaths, and pedestrians are viewed with total disdain. Like, whats wrong with that guy, did his car break down or something? And if you have a basket of goodies like a few beers in plastic bag, you feel vulnerable, like you are almost asking to be mugged. Especially when a carload of the brothers cruises past. At least abbos just pester you for a handout, they don't just take it (yet).  Culture shock, and then some.


Central Loosie-anner was pretty....pretty flat, pretty hot, pretty soggy, and pretty weird. Check out this photo, which was fairly typical of today's ride. Thick green foliage on both sides, but I most of the time I was riding on an embankment which I reckon was about 3-4 metres high. At the toe of the slope, the trees looked to be standing in water, with lots of creeks, lakes, culverts and bridges in evidence. Probably alligator country I reckon. I also saw heaps of snakes on the road, mostly roadkill. I also like the way they scratch a line of short transverse divots in the bitumen just on the edge of the road, beyond the white edge line. This creates some audible feedback to the driver the instant a wheel strays onto it, and is a really good idea. For cars, I mean. If a bike rider ever gets onto it, it really is time to find a motel.



Speaking of which, I went through a very long stretch of roadworks somewhere today, probably about 5 miles total, where the bitumen had been cold planed off, in preparation for a resheeting operation. This was an absolute bastard to ride on. It continually felt like the front wheel was dropping into a rut but wanted to immediately climb out again, so it was wandering all over the place. I had to get up on the pegs just to stay on top of it. And I am carrying that much weight at the back, and its spread out so far with those stupid  pannier shaped outriggers, that the bike feels dead, and wont respond to steering input from the feet. So some real dirt will be fun...not!

Still in Louisiana, this is what I meant by weird. I'm still trying to work this one out, hours later! Clearly no pig is safe in these parts. Or is that the name of some new franchise operation coming to a town near you?  I'm just thankful the bike didn't break down anywhere around here. I was sure I could hear banjo music.



And here is another one. What the hell did this guy do??









No comments: