Wednesday, May 22, 2019

ASSORTED WEIRD STUFF.

Yay, I got my photos onto the computer, and have added a few in earlier posts here and there. Caz took most of the photos, and I will load hers on soon, and add them into the blog. Meanwhile, here are a few of the kind of random things that grab my attention when I'm travelling, in no particular order. Starting with my official Chinese driver's license and registration document for the bike.






Typical Chinese scooter. The disc at the back is for the spare tyre. It has its own cover, complete with a ringing endorsement in "Ingrish" (see below). Not sure about the writing on the mudflap though.



OK, gottit. Maybe it makes sense in Chinese.



More Ingrish. Ditto.



Even the chairs are happy in this restaurant.



A couple of ancient Urals parked (permanently) in the street in Dali.



Jazzy little Stars n Stripes hire scooter. Also available in Union Jack version.




Some kind of blinged-to-death home made job, I think.



And speaking of bling.......



It doesn't get much more blingy than this attention grabber. It was also the only Harley we saw in China.



And here's the dude who owns it. A good try, but Asians just can't do "bad-ass" convincingly.


This shop sign says Piggy Chasing Meat. I have no idea either.


My disintegrated summer gloves after the trip. I had to trash my winter gloves as well, the lining pulled out. And I broke my glasses! Tough trip.



What the well dressed Chinese tourist in Chiang Mai is wearing these days. If he's colour blind.


Some seriously good handiwork here.




And again.




These columns are carved from marble. Exquisite work.


The centrepiece is a single disc of marble, with the "mountain range" pattern naturally occuring. Fantastic.


Ahah, Wahaha. Ha ha !




Generally speaking, Chinese beer was as watery and tasteless as it looks. Nobody found any that was really good, but that didn't stop us from drinking it.




And as for the world's most recognisable brand, that was fine.



The aftermath of our first night back in Laos. Party time.



Read this sign closely. Now, the next time you feel like being a buddah temple, here are the rules. Not sure of the penalty for impersonating a buddah temple, but I imagine they are harsh. You could even lose your tangtop. Interesting how the rules appear to single out females.




Mmm mmm, good old durian, the king of fruits. It stinks, but I like the taste. Nobody else has ever agreed with me. What?




At Nan, where we spent our first night back in Thailand, we were joined by a legend! David Unkovich (on the left, above, with Andrew) is an Aussie from Perth who has lived in Thailand for 35 years, and is the founder of Golden Triangle Riders. He pioneered group bike touring in the northern parts of Thailand in general, and into Laos in particular. Check out their website. I met David on my last tour, and this time he joined us on our run down Highway 1148, one of the best bike roads in Thailand, or anywhere else. That makes it three times for me.




I felt like a snack and this sure looked familiar, so I bought it. I mean, you can only eat so many chicken's heads, right? Still not sure how you say Snickers in Chinese though.










No comments: