Thursday, March 19, 2015

LUANG PRABANG

The group has gone out to look at a waterfall this afternoon. After seeing Iguacu Falls in Brazil, I have no need to ever see another waterfall, I'll only be disappointed! So I went for a wander in the vicinity of our hotel, the Mekong Sunset View Hotel. Things are very quiet here in the afternoon because it's so hot and sticky. Lots of activity in the cooler parts of the day though, particularly at night. I guess we are in an area that could be described as touristy, its probably in the most desirable area overlooking the Mekong. Up close though, there is a lot of trash lining the riverbank. The Mekong itself is a giant sewer. After passing through China, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam I shudder to think what's in it. Its enough to put me off eating fish, I'll tell you that for nothing.

Many of the older houses here are built of timber, even some newer buildings have facades made from heavy timber slabs, and just about all buildings have heavy timber shutters on the windows. I have also noticed that a lot of furniture like tables and chairs are made from solid timber, very thick and heavy, probably teak, but almost certainly local rainforest timber. Its bloody uncomfortable, and you can take that to the bank! Our hotel has exquisite teak floors though, the boards being about 15 inches wide, and as solid as rock. I guess you use what you've got, but I hope its sustainable. There appears to still be a logging industry that employs elephants, certainly it is possible to visit elephants at work and play. I need to find out more about this.


Our hotel, my bike on the right no. 7788


 Typical architecture in the street facing the Mekong, where there are outdoor cafes and restaurants lining the river side, and French colonial style buildings on the other. Some of these are a bit faded, others have been beautifully restored. Enjoy!





 But you do have to watch where you walk. This thing was the size of a saucer.






A bit of France in the tropics.


 Don't get too comfortable in there, you're dinner. That'll teach you to wake me up at 4 am.



I don't know how old this stupa is, but its ancient.




 This is the biggest frangipani I've ever seen. It might be as old as the temple.


 Steps leading to the temple. I guess the lesson here is that it doesn't matter how big and ugly you are, there is always someone or something bigger and uglier. A thought worthy of contemplation.



 Laundry day, for this monk anyway.


 The best preserved temple I could find. The detail is exquisite.



 A more typical street scene.


Temples are everywhere, even in the side streets.


So there you have it. We head off tomorrow for Van Vieng, suitably rested, freshly laundered, blog updated and ready to rock and roll. See you next time.

No comments: