Saturday, July 9, 2016

BEING DISGRACEFUL

Pretty soon I was in Wyoming. There is an awesome bike road which runs between Dayton and Greybull, which I stumbled onto by accident on my last visit. It runs up through Granite Pass. That time, it was cold, there was a bit of snow around, it was early evening and I had the entire road to myself. So naturally, I let rip. One of the most memorable moments of the whole trip. This time round,  I had a bit of time to kill, so I actually backtracked from Sheridan just to ride this stretch again. Unfortunately there was a fair bit of traffic around, so I had to blow a few people away. This time I noticed a 40 mph speed limit on most of the climb up to the top of the pass, and double lines nearly all the way. Didn't remember that from last time!  Anyway, you only live once, so I went for it again. The mighty Gruntmeister did not disappoint, it was like an attack dog let off its chain. No chicken strips on the tyres now, and are those four pot Brembo brakes any good!



The task ahead -- the climb to the top of Granite Pass, on US14. And down again. Yahoo!

A couple of times I got stuck behind out of staters and other rubberneckers who were on their way to church or to the library. Well I didn't wait four years and spend a pile of hard earned just to get stuck behind some retired law clerk or schoolmaam too scared to step outside the box they've been living in all their miserable, boring lives. I could almost hear the mutterings, "Look at that idiot". I just hope nobody shot any video on their phone, or I will do hard time for sure. I promise I won't do it again. Well, probably not there anyway. But it was a hell of a rush!

On my way to my next lodging in Spearfish, I detoured to have another look at the Devil's Tower, a remarkable volcanic plug (Google it) which is slowly disintegrating. I'm sure it was bigger four years ago.





And on the way, I passed a prarie dog town. These little guys are so tame and used to people within the Park, that they just ignore them. Mostly.




Despite provocation from a budding David Attenborough.

When I stopped for refreshment just outside the Park, I bumped into this fearsome lot of hard core bikers, all from far away Tennessee. Potential Ulysses members for sure.


The guy third from the left was a Vietnam Vet who had R&R in Sydney in 1969. He wanted to know if Whisky Au Go Go was still in business. It is, isn't it, or did it burn down? Funny how you just park your bike and people just start talking to you. I had a great chat with these friendly, affable guys, who wanted to know all kinds of stuff about Australia, and also where I was going and what I was doing. Like if I had ever met "one of them Aborigines". It was a real crack up. And I can tell you for sure, nobody over here has ever heard of Adelaide. But these are the moments I live for. 

And for those of you who may not be familiar with the kinds of RV that populate the roads of America, check this out. Its a house with wheels, literally.


 And they can go at 80mph on the Interstates. I know, one of them passed me!! Disgraceful, but with money.

No comments: