Thursday, July 14, 2016

MINNESOTA

This is a first. I've never been to Minnesota before. The land of ten thousand lakes is what it says on the numberplates. I have heard this descriptor before though. I recalled that up in Alaska, they dismiss the whole notion as fanciful. You see, up there they reckon you'd see 10,000 lakes in the first couple of hours after crossing the border. And they may be right. I'd certainly hate to count them all. Meanwhile, the countryside changed from rolling hills and grasssland about halfway across South Dakota. Gradually I noticed much more cultivation, and by the time I got to Watertown near the eastern border, it was all highly productive wheatfields and cornfields and other crops. Certainly not much space goes to waste around these parts. So onwards into Minnesota.

I decided to take roads less travelled, as is my inclination, as there was really no direct route to Duluth, where I was headed, on the western tip of Lake Superior, making it the westernmost point of all the Great Lakes. There are roads going in all directions around here to provide farm access and connect numerous small towns, but it was very blustery, and having to stop and unfold the map every 15-20 minutes was becoming a pain. So I just punched Duluth into the GPS from a long way out and let it do the work. Of course, it wanted to go on the Interstates, which I noticed were becoming increasingly heavily trafficked compared to those out on the the Plains. Then I remembered why I don't like riding on them, as I was constantly beaten up by the trucks. Its also fairly easy to pick up on the fact that the State is heavily populated by people with Scandinavian links. And their pro Football team is not called the Minnesota Vikings for nothing.

When I stopped at St Cloud for a bite to eat, something occurred to me. At the servo where I stopped, I noticed a person of African-American heritage, and shorty afterwards, a whole lot more. The last time I had seen a similar hued person was in Seattle. Two weeks ago and half the country away! This is purely an observation, but I would like to know if that's just a coincidence? Anyway, about an hour from Duluth the skies really darkened ominously, so I stopped and put the wet weather gear on. Not a moment too soon either. The heavens opened and bombarded me all the way into Duluth. Did that slow any of the traffic down? Not on your life. Another good reason to stay off the Interstates. A lot of this State seemed pretty flat to me, and the thought occurred that if this keeps up, those ten thousand lakes will all just merge into one great big lake and make Lake Superior a bit bigger. I found out later that parts of the State had been hit severely over the last 24 hours, to the point where the Interstates were flooded in at least two places. A look at the Weather Channel in the motel really freaked me out. All kinds of meteorological mayhem had been wrought on various parts of the country and it wasn't over yet. Parts where I intended to go, and in some cases, very soon. Like tomorrow. Out came the maps again, and I began putting together a Plan B, and resigning myself to my fate.

Ok, I cannot let this go unrecorded! I just had tea in an establishment right next to my motel. On the dessert menu was- wait for it--Bacon Sundae!! Three strips of cherrywood smoked bacon on top of two scoops of ice cream, according to the description. I didn't order it. I couldn't bring myself up to the required level  of desperation, but when I polish off my remaining Jack Daniels, I might just go back there. This is of course no more than I have come to expect over here. All kinds of weird and wonderful combinations of stuff concocted in the never ending search for the next taste sensation, that elusive, world beating flavour. The side effect being to pack the absolute maximum amount of saturated fat, salt and sugar and of course, calories, into every mouthful. Like a burger made with a croissant instead of a bun, which Burger King make. Like bacon and cheese stuffed pizza crust. Like crushed Oreo cookies turning up in fudge and ice cream and maybe even beer, for all I know. Even at Subway you can supersize your choice by doubling up on the meat component for a small premium. Even for a regular sandwich they can pack twice as much stuff into a bread roll than is usual in Australia without having to resort to using a hydraulic press to close it and wrap it. Are we being ripped off at home? The smallest drink container available anywhere is about the size of a 44 gallon drum and if you like popcorn, be prepared to deal with an industrial skip full of the stuff. Then, if you are really hungry.........this is the place for you. If they ever introduce eating as an Olympic sport, nobody else would stand a chance. But the Turkey Jerky isn't bad though. While I'm on the subject, in Spearfish I introduced my hosts Brad & Lynn to Australia's black gold, you know, Vegemite. Brad didn't think it was too bad, kind of meaty he said. Lynn couldn't handle it at all, and the look on her face was priceless! In retaliation, she made me some grits. Of course I'd heard of this southern staple, but never had the opportunity to try it. Its grey and has a texture like lumpy glue, I thought, and actually pretty bland. Just the kind of thing you'd go for if half your teeth were missing. It was not unlike polenta, but the flavour comes from all the stuff you stir in, like salt, cheese, pepper and whatever else. I mean it might actually be healthy before it's doctored to make it palatable. Personally, I though it could have done with some Vegemite in it. And as for polenta, I used to use the stuff to make burley. Dampen it then add a dash of curry powder to it, squeeze a handful of it onto a spring sinker and the Easter mullet at Brown's Beach would commit mass suicide on your hooks. True story.

1 comment:

Travel2up said...

But do they have beetroot on offer for the burgers or subway? I hear they have bacon and maple syrup pancakes