Sunday, November 11, 2018

MARKETS, MONASTERIES, TEMPLES

At Disneyworld, Florida they have an expression for sensory overload combined with too much ice cream. They call it being Disneyed out. But here they say it differently, but they are essentially talking about the same thing. And I think I'm there.



My conveyance today was a Lexus 4WD. Uh oh, I thought when it turned up, we're going bush. Today started with another temple. Groan. At least this one was different. For a start it was quite some distance away down a diabolical goat track, then down about 100 stairs. You see, it was built in a gorge. It was the 12th century Kyauk Gu Ohnmin Cave Temple, that rarely sees foreign visitors, I was assured. Well, they got that bit right. First you'd have to find it! We pretty well had the whole place to ourselves, except for the monks of course, and this old codger, the keeper of the shoes. Tough job, but someone's got to do it.


This place was a bit spooky, but very quiet for meditation, if you don't have claustrophobia.




Then we moved on, heading further out into the sticks. I didn't think this was possible, but it was. Passing through villages with not a single modern building, everything built from bamboo, rattan and palm leaves. And as for John Deeres and Massey Fergusons, well, not round here, sir. Not even a Mahindra round here.



Well, did I lie?? Finally we finished up at Pakkoku, a fair size town further up the Ayawaddy, and crossing said river via what is apparently the longest bridge in Myanmar. No argument from me. I tried for some photos, but its a hard thing to capture.




In this region, the Ayawaddy is massive. I have measured the Indus in Pakistan at 1.1 km shore to shore, and at the time, I thought it was the biggest river I had ever seen. I reckon this bridge was about 2 miles (3.2 km) long, but of course it wasn't all over water. Then again, this is the dry season! The water in the above photos is only a backwater. The main channel looks like this.


Admittedly, I haven't seen the Amazon. I better do something about that. Right, Pakkoku. First thing Moo Moo had laid on for me was a series of visits to genuine Asian sweatshops.I kid you not. They have the real thing here. First it was a cigar factory. Everybody was sitting around on the floor, working on some part of the process, done entirely by hand. I couldn't believe it. Today by the way is Sunday, but that makes absolutely no difference in Myanmar. Naturally I had to buy one. Anybody that reckons smoking won't kill you should try one of these!



Then, It actually got worse. Next stop was a place that made sandals. Same deal, everyone squatting on the floor, ancient machinery, cutting by hand, one guy smearing rubber glue onto soles by hand! Occ health and safety? Don't make me laugh.






Well, I suppose they're lucky to have a job. Everybody appeared happy enough. I tried on the biggest pair they make, and they were too small. That cracked the staff up properly, they didn't think it was possible for anybody to have plates the size of mine. I suggested they needed to think out side the box. Literally.

Next stop was the market. It was quite a big one, and I will guarantee I was the only foreigner in the place. I felt like I was the main attraction. Everybody seemed to be clocking me. But the really good thing about it was that as soon as you made eye contact with anybody, and smiled at them, they broke out into a genuine happy smile. Maybe they were saying "check out the tosser with the big feet" for all I know, but they seemed genuine enough. OK, ready for this?

 Dragon fruit.


 Bamboo root. I thought it was skinned rat.


 Sesame paste on the left, pickled mango on the right.



 Now that's a real trike.


 That's Moo Moo. What did I tell you?



The fish department. Just keep walking.

But the grand prize goes to this guy. That's a case of beer and another of munchies strapped to the bike. This guy knows what he wants to do on a Sunday.


Then it was a leisurely 2 hour cruise back down the river to Bagan, with lunch included. Whew, big day.

No comments: